- 1The sight of a rifle or other weapon that is nearer the eye of the person aiming.More example sentences
- The first M91 / 30 rifles therefore, used the curved backsights of the old dragoon rifles.
- He ran his thumb along his rifle's backsight.
- The Model 41 has an undercut square post foresight, but its backsight attracted interest since it is mounted on a rib extending rearwards from the barrel.
- 2 Surveying A sight or reading taken backwards or towards the point of starting.More example sentences
- Taking backsights is a way of detecting errors and blunders in reading instruments.
- The first reading of almost any survey job should be a backsight onto a fixed point of reference, usually a benchmark of some sort.
- If your party is recording corrected backsights be sure to read the upper scale if you are shooting a backsight.