Definition of backsight in English:
1The sight of a rifle or other weapon that is nearer the eye of the person aiming.
- The first M91 / 30 rifles therefore, used the curved backsights of the old dragoon rifles.
- He ran his thumb along his rifle's backsight.
- The Model 41 has an undercut square post foresight, but its backsight attracted interest since it is mounted on a rib extending rearwards from the barrel.
2 Surveying A sight or reading taken backwards or towards the point of starting.
- Taking backsights is a way of detecting errors and blunders in reading instruments.
- The first reading of almost any survey job should be a backsight onto a fixed point of reference, usually a benchmark of some sort.
- If your party is recording corrected backsights be sure to read the upper scale if you are shooting a backsight.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan