- 1A key on a typewriter or computer keyboard used to cause the carriage or cursor to move backwards.More example sentences
- I've been digging through pictures cursing myself for not documenting my work better, typing the details from my notes then suddenly, I broke the backspace key on my computer.
- I tapped on the keyboard, pressing the backspace key much more frequent than the other keys.
- The backspace and the delete keys don't work on my computer right now because my sister spilled honey all over it.
verb[no object] Back to top
- Move a typewriter carriage or computer cursor backwards.More example sentences
- The < BS > markers show where I hit the BackSpace key - note that the text I was backspacing over remains in the log.
- I then peacefully backspaced through my email and re-wrote.
- The telltale signs: writing a few words, then furiously backspacing; paralysis of the hands; an overwhelming desire to check my e-mail, surf the Web, get a soda, anything but confront the blank screen.
More definitions of backspaceDefinition of backspace in:
- The US English dictionary