Definition of backstretch in English:
1 another term for back straight.
- The son of Mr. Prospector, a $4-million yearling purchase, was angled to the outside leaving the backstretch and made a powerful run on the turn to reach the leaders.
- Fifth on the inside down the backstretch, he had to wait until midstretch before he could angle Perfect Sting between rivals and they just got up for the victory.
- On Sunday, the Kentucky-bred son of Pulpit stretched that streak to four when he rated a ground-saving fourth down the backstretch before plunging through a tiny hole on the inside to notch his second consecutive graded stakes victory.
1.1The area adjacent to a racecourse where the horses are stabled and stable employees have temporary living accommodation.
- The sale was conducted in a tent on the Saratoga Race Course backstretch with sale horses stabled at the track.
- Both riders were injured when their horses ducked into the inside rail when they saw an infield walking path used to bring horses from the backstretch to the saddling enclosure.
- It was not immediately known what effect, if any, the fireworks show had on the Breeders' Cup runners stabled on the nearby backstretch.
Definition of backstretch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan