1A swimming stroke performed on the back with the arms lifted alternately out of the water in a backward circular motion and the legs extended and kicking: I concentrated on the backstroke most of the time [as adverb]: he’s getting ready to swim the channel backstroke
More example sentences
- As you begin the first part of the backstroke arm stroke, your arm enters the water fully extended over your shoulder, pinky finger first with the palm of your hand slightly pitched out to the side.
- Last year I had the luxury of swimming a few strokes backstroke so I could get a good look at the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Jackie, you're so good at the other strokes like crawl, backstroke, and breaststroke.
1.1 (the backstroke) A race, usually of a specified length, in which backstroke is used: he was fifth in the 200 m backstroke
More example sentences
- Tara won third place in Swimming 50-meter backstroke in the Inter-Village finals last June.
- It marked the first time an American woman had set the 100 meter backstroke world record in nearly 34 years.
- His best events are the 50-meter and 100-meter backstroke, as well as the 200 individual medley.
2 Bell-ringing A pull of the tail end of the rope from its highest position so as to swing the bell through a full circle. Compare with handstroke.
- The signal for this was ringing the treble on it's own for a handstroke and a backstroke.
- There are 2 strokes, the back and hand stroke, and you start with learning one the backstroke is marginally easier - and my coach, Ginny, stood next to me as I felt the weight of the bell for the first time, ready to catch it (the rope not the bell...) if it all went pear-shaped.
- This is usually the backstroke of the Treble's full lead.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- Therese actually began her swimming career as a backstroker.
- Great freestylers and backstrokers swim with very little central axis rotation within the upper body during the propulsive phase of the stroke.
- Japan, France and Britain all have contenders, while China's two young backstrokers make their major international debut here.
Definition of backstroke in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.