Definition of bagnio in English:
noun (plural bagnios)
1 archaic A brothel.
- The most notorious madam of the era was one Elizabeth Hayward who ran bagnios with a rare wit.
- At Storytown's peak, over 2000 prostitutes, in various bagnios, were selling Love in hourly increments.
- For this vile end the bagnios and lodging-houses are near at hand.
2 historical (In East Asia) a prison.
- Many other messages were exchanged between Zoraida and the captive until enough money was collected to furnish a ship and ransom other bagnio captives besides himself.
- Garcés examines the five years he spent in the Algerian bagnios and the impact of his imprisonment on his works.
- All these are Government slaves, and are carried off at once to one of the three great government prisons or bagnios.
Definition of bagnio in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia