Definition of baker in English:
1A person whose trade is making and selling bread and cakes.
- We had the candles, hatters, cobblers and bakers representing the strong trades in Rathkeale in the 19th century.
- The yeast used to make beer is the same type that is used to make bread - in fact, breweries used to sell their yeast to bakers for use in bread.
- When a baker sells his bread for money to a shoemaker, he has supplied the shoemaker with his saved unconsumed bread.
1.1 [often with modifier] An oven for a particular purpose: a waffle baker
More example sentences
- Hildebrand followed Timon's gaze to the slight girl leaning against the stall of a pastry baker.
- I joined your list his week because of an interest in making bread with a bread baker.
- My kids (22, 25) come for Sunday brunch and love the smell when they walk into the kitchen after I have programmed my bread baker.
- A group of thirteen: an anthology comprising a baker’s dozen stimulating stories[From the former bakers' custom of adding an extra loaf to a dozen sold to a retailer, this constituting the latter's profit]More example sentences
- As you probably know a baker's dozen is thirteen, one more than a normal person's dozen.
- The King's Consort, in its orchestral guise at the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall, boasted a baker's dozen of strings, along with pairs of oboes and recorders, with Robert King ducking and weaving at the harpsichord.
- Given that she was clearly going to Sofia to buy cheap costume jewellery, obviously having purchased and draped herself in everything her village had in stock (or she had mugged a baker's dozen of chalga singers to get it all)
Pronunciation: /ˌbeɪkəːz ˈdʌzn/
Words that rhyme with bakeracre, breaker, Chandrasekhar, faker, forsaker, Jamaica, Laker, maker, nacre, partaker, Quaker, raker, saker, shaker, staker, taker, undertaker, waker
Definition of baker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.