noun (plural bakkies)South African
- 1A light truck or pickup truck.More example sentences
- They were especially successful in sales of bakkies (pick-ups).
- Three people died and six others were injured when a bakkie and a truck collided outside Stutterheim yesterday afternoon.
- Sales of new light commercial vehicles, bakkies and minibuses had also maintained strong upward momentum.
- 2A small basin or other container.More example sentences
- Back at camp we enjoyed lovely showers (OK, the manual pick-up-a-bakkie-of-water-out-the-drum-and-throw-it over-your-head shower).
Afrikaans, from bak 'container' + the diminutive suffix -ie.