- (In parts of Asia) a small sum of money given as alms, a tip, or a bribe: the children smiled back and asked for baksheeshMore example sentences
- By the time we finished, a small group of children had gathered around our car and they called out in Arabic, ‘baksheesh! baksheesh!’
- In the old days the uncertainty provided a lucrative source of supplemental income for town-hall bureaucrats who would tip you the wink for a little discreet baksheesh.
- He explained: ‘I love baksheesh because it gives me certainty and predictability.’
based on Persian baḵšīš, from baḵšīdan 'give'.
More definitions of baksheeshDefinition of baksheesh in:
- The US English dictionary