Definition of balance of power in English:
1A situation in which states of the world have roughly equal power.
- As already noted, Soviet power was certainly an important element in the Cold War balance of power in East Asia.
- For instance, policies of the balance of power might lead to assistance being given to regimes with bad human rights records.
- This legislation changes the balance of power in corporate New Zealand.
2The power held by a small group when larger groups are of equal strength.
- The great strength of this nation must be used to promote a balance of power that favors freedom.
- The power structure, in particular the balance of power between the centre and the periphery was in constant need of repair.
- Chelsea's win leaves them the only remaining bastion of power in the south as the balance of power again swings north.
Definition of balance of power in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan