- A ruby of a delicate rose-red variety.More example sentences
- Hence, in 1402, Berry convinced the king to open the royal coffers and disburse 14,000 of the 18,000 ecus he needed to purchase a fabulous balas ruby.
- Anything goes, including gauds of pearls, of enameled gold, even of balas rubies and sapphires.
- But from the middle ages spinel was often referred to as ‘balas ruby’, as you mentioned.
late Middle English: from Old French balais, from Arabic balaḵš, from Persian Badaḵšān, a district of Afghanistan where it is found.
More definitions of balas rubyDefinition of balas ruby in:
- The US English dictionary