- A large European wrasse (fish) of rocky shores and reefs, popular as an angling fish.
More example sentences
- Labrus bergylta, family Labridae
- Some temperate wrasse species, such as the ballan wrasse and Anampses cuvieri, are demersal nest builders.
- The North Sea is not the greatest place for fish but on any dive you are likely to see pollack, coalfish, ballan wrasse, anglerfish, topknots and ling.
- Towards the centre of the pier pipefish, mussels galore, conger and common eels, ballan wrasse and cuttlefish lurked.
mid 18th century: ballan from Irish ballán, from ball 'spot'.