Definition of ballerina in English:
1A female ballet dancer.
- Ballet dancers, little ballerinas, women in intimate situations and horse races are the subjects that are immediately associated with him.
- I feel very proud of being a ballerina of this great ballet company.
- I began watching the company in the fifties, when a quintet of highly individual ballerinas reigned over the female roster.
2 [usually as modifier] A ballet shoe: wear ballerina pumps with a pretty day dress for a perfect spring/summer look New Yorkers walk a lot, so ballerinas make sense
More example sentences
- This pair of glitter ballerina pumps are great if you like to walk comfortably and brighten up a daytime outfit.
- The career girl's court shoe is all very well but where were Ravel's versions of the casual suede boot or the casual ballerina look last autumn?
- Whether ballerinas appear at the top or bottom of any in/out barometer, they are by now a classic.
Late 18th century: from Italian, feminine of ballerino 'dancing master', from ballare 'to dance', from late Latin.
Words that rhyme with ballerinaAdelina, Angelina, arena, Argentina, Ballymena, Bettina, Bukovina, Burkina, cantina, Cartagena, casuarina, catena, Christina, cleaner, concertina, congener, contravener, convener, Cortina, demeanour (US demeanor), deus ex machina, duodena, Edwina, Ena, farina, Filipina, galena, Georgina, Gina, gleaner, hyena, Ina, intervener, kachina, kina, Magdalena, marina, Martina, Medina, Messalina, Messina, misdemeanour (US misdemeanor), Nina, novena, ocarina, Palestrina, Pasadena, Philomena, piscina, retsina, Rowena, Sabrina, scarlatina, screener, Selina, semolina, Seraphina, Serena, Sheena, signorina, sonatina, subpoena, Taormina, tsarina, verbena, vina, weaner, Wilhelmina, Zena
Definition of ballerina in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.