Definition of ballista in English:
noun (plural ballistae /-stiː/ or ballistas)
1A catapult used in ancient warfare for hurling large stones.
- The two types of siege weapons were catapults and ballistae, with catapults being the predecessor (Iannuzzo).
- The player can use catapults, battering rams, ballistas and ancient ‘elevators’.
- Caesar covered his landing in Britain with catapults and ballistas.
1.1A large crossbow used in ancient warfare for firing a spear.
- Nadia spotted a group of men hauling out a huge ballista, a gigantic crossbow on wheels.
- The ballista was, in essence, a giant crossbow.
- With the ballistae, however, they hoped to launch flaming spears into the sails of their enemy, slowing them down.
Definition of ballista in:
- US English dictionary