Definition of balloon tyre in English:
A large tyre containing air at low pressure for travel on soft or uneven surfaces.
- The staff were very helpful and most difficulties were easily overcome, though we really needed a 4 x 4 wheelchair fitted with balloon tyres for the desert!
- We've got these three-wheelers with balloon tyres.
- I said ‘Yes, they used to call me balloon tyres’, because I'm not a tall man as you can see, but I got my legs strong, because I knew to be a runner you had to have something.
- balloon-tyred adjective
- Example sentences
- ‘Each day, with a backpack full of instruments, we rode across the salt on balloon-tyred motorbikes to the centre of the lake,’ says Ms Campbell.
- The maximum speed was approximately 30 km/h, considered by the designers to be a speed that would not impair the life of a standard balloon-tyred bicycle.
- They were able to negotiate the surface of the Lake with three-wheeled balloon-tyred Honda buggies and they had radio communication with Muloorina Station.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.