Definition of balustrade in English:
A railing supported by balusters, especially one forming an ornamental parapet to a balcony, bridge, or terrace.
- The company produces wrought iron gates, fencing, railings and balustrades.
- Small balcony projections with ornate balustrades and pretty wrought iron lamps flanking monumental doorways on the tall street walls characterized the early homes.
- Investigations revealed the cause to be a breakdown of the waterproofing to the bolts on the base plates supporting the balustrades.
- Example sentences
- The neo-classical house features a main doorway framed with Ionic pillars and topped by a balustraded balcony complete with carved stone coat of arms.
- On the roofs of many of these houses on the Battery, built by prosperous shipping kings, are small gazebos and balustraded walkways.
- They range from kitsch Tyrolean examples, complete with ornate synthetic roof tiles and balustraded balconies, to far less showy Scandinavian-style laminated timber homes.
Definition of balustrade in:
- US English dictionary