Definition of balustrade in English:
A railing supported by balusters, especially one forming an ornamental parapet to a balcony, bridge, or terrace.
- The company produces wrought iron gates, fencing, railings and balustrades.
- Small balcony projections with ornate balustrades and pretty wrought iron lamps flanking monumental doorways on the tall street walls characterized the early homes.
- Investigations revealed the cause to be a breakdown of the waterproofing to the bolts on the base plates supporting the balustrades.
- Example sentences
- The neo-classical house features a main doorway framed with Ionic pillars and topped by a balustraded balcony complete with carved stone coat of arms.
- On the roofs of many of these houses on the Battery, built by prosperous shipping kings, are small gazebos and balustraded walkways.
- They range from kitsch Tyrolean examples, complete with ornate synthetic roof tiles and balustraded balconies, to far less showy Scandinavian-style laminated timber homes.
Words that rhyme with balustradeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, downgrade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
Definition of balustrade in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan