Definition of banana in English:
1A long curved fruit which grows in clusters and has soft pulpy flesh and yellow skin when ripe: a bunch of bananas
More example sentences
- Towers started a fruit farm, growing bananas and avocados.
- Her eyes widened when she saw the bright orange pumpkins, the ripe yellow bananas, silks with colors that she had never before seen.
- Farmers grow corn, cassava, peanuts, bananas, and citrus fruits for their own consumption.
2 (also banana plant or banana tree) The tropical and subtropical palm-like plant which bears bananas, having very large leaves but lacking a woody trunk.
- Genus Musa, family Musaceae: several species, in particular M. sapientum
- Here, people cultivate the ensete plant, which looks like a banana tree, but its trunk pulp is prepared and eaten.
- I heard of one gardener in North Carolina who protected his banana plant in his front yard by surrounding the plant with bags and bags of leaves.
- Vivienne's smile turned wistful and she turned to snap a picture of sunlight filtering through the leaves of a banana tree.
go (or be) bananas informal
- Become (or be) mad or extremely silly: everyone’s beginning to think I’m bananasMore example sentences
- Have they all gone bananas at the Banana Warehouse in Piccadilly, York?
- And back in his old stomping grounds of Graz the politicians went bananas.
- A Burnley headteacher has gone bananas and accused the Government of letting down needy children by leaving them out of a scheme to provide pupils with free fruit.
- 1.1Become extremely angry or excited: she went bananas when I said I was going to leave the jobMore example sentences
- Sections of the farming community are going bananas about quarantine today.
- I never really got close to executing the plan because the market was pretty much going bananas over the low mortgage rates.
- The Polynesian grappler immediately went bananas and came after me, but I slipped into the locker room, shut the door, and locked it.
top (or second) banana
- informal The most (or second most) important person in an organization: a top banana of the MafiaMore example sentences
- Gira's originals play second banana, occupying the record's back third.
- This longtime second banana is finally a leader for the improving Thrashers.
- They are the stars, and they're going to talk with SHOWBIZ TONIGHT about their breakout roles and what it's like to play second banana to a great ape.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan