Definition of banana skin in English:
1The skin of a banana, especially when peeled off and discarded.
- I stopped in front of one of the wheelie bins, opened the top and dropped in my banana skin.
- One city hall worker won £4,000 after slipping on a banana skin while another who burned their hand on a fish pie was paid £3,000.
- Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin.
1.1British informal Used to refer to a cause of difficulty or embarrassment: the minister was appointed to spot political banana skins this game remains a potential banana skin for Burnley the world’s two major economic powers seem unable to avoid slipping on a banana skin
[from the slapstick convention of falling over as a result of slipping on a discarded banana skin]
More example sentences
- Hays has this advice on how to avoid stepping on potential banana skins at work.
- The prosecution slipped on a few banana skins on the way.
- Investors may do better simply by moving on to sectors where there is more clarity and fewer potential banana skins.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia