- 1.2A ribbon-like stone scroll bearing an inscription.More example sentences
- The banderole bears the inscription ‘Asperges Me Hyssopo,’ a phrase from Psalm 51: 7.
- The tympanum over the center door is carved with a representation of Jesus, flanked by angels, and standing on a banderole inscribed: ‘I am the door’.
- The text on the banderole on the left reads (in translation), ‘a welcome meal for a guest who has come from afar,’ above which in smaller characters is, ‘written for the owner of the Western Garden.’
mid 16th century: from French, from Italian banderuola, diminutive of bandiera 'banner'.
More definitions of banderoleDefinition of banderole in:
- The US English dictionary