Definition of bandfish in English:
noun (plural same or bandfishes)
1An elongated marine fish with dorsal and often anal fins that extend the length of the body.
- Family Cepolidae: several genera and species
- In the current late summer season, he says that most trips are for squid, bandfish or a small red grouper-looking fish that I later found out was bulleye.
- The red bandfish Cepola macrophthalma (L.) is characterized by a gonochoristic sexual organization.
- The age and growth parameters of red bandfish were determined from the specimens collected in Ýzmir Bay between January 1996 and February 1997.
2A large edible freshwater fish that has a long trunk-like snout and lacks dorsal, pelvic, and tail fins, native to tropical South America.
- Rhamphichthys rostratus, family Rhamphichthyidae
- A rare crested bandfish has been found for only the third time in Tasmania, in the shallows off Bruny Island.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.