noun (plural same or bandfishes)
1An elongated marine fish with dorsal and often anal fins that extend the length of the body.
- Family Cepolidae: several genera and species.
- In the current late summer season, he says that most trips are for squid, bandfish or a small red grouper-looking fish that I later found out was bulleye.
- The red bandfish Cepola macrophthalma (L.) is characterized by a gonochoristic sexual organization.
- The age and growth parameters of red bandfish were determined from the specimens collected in Ýzmir Bay between January 1996 and February 1997.
2A large edible freshwater fish that has a long trunk-like snout and lacks dorsal, pelvic, and tail fins, native to tropical South America.
- Rhamphichthys rostratus, family Rhamphichthyidae.
- A rare crested bandfish has been found for only the third time in Tasmania, in the shallows off Bruny Island.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: band|fish
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.