- 1The structure formed by the uprights and handrail at the side of a staircase: he vaulted the banister she peered over the banistersMore example sentences
- This effect also would be pretty on a porch rail or stair banister.
- A jury has recommended that hand rails or banisters be installed in houses at an inquest into the tragic death of a former member of Dervish on Christmas Day.
- We decided to take a short cut through the neighborhood yards playing follow the leader over hedges, fences, porch banisters, etc.
- 1.1A single upright at the side of a staircase: I stuck my head between the banistersMore example sentences
- Yet despite this, both consulates were rather attractive buildings: cool and breezy, with intricately carved banisters and fine teak panelling.
- Beyond this the entrance hall includes ceiling cornicing and a dado rail as well as a stripped pine staircase and banisters.
- The living room kept its unexpected adobe-style fireplace, the great-room its unusual green onyx banisters.
mid 17th century: from earlier barrister, alteration of baluster.