Definition of banjo in English:
noun (plural banjos or banjoes)
1A stringed instrument of the guitar family, with a round open-backed soundbox of parchment stretched over a metal hoop.
- Baxter is probably best known as the ace pedal steel, banjo, dobro, guitar, all-'round musical utility guy for Bob Dylan, Steve Earle and Ryan Adams.
- Strings, guitars, banjo, tambourine, French horn, harp, clarinet, accordion, drums and chanting contribute to Arcade Fire's intensely deep but totally palatable fusion of sounds.
- Musically, the album isn't afraid of drawing on different instruments, from mouth organs to banjos, to acoustic guitars and piano.
1.1An object resembling a banjo in shape: [as modifier]: a banjo clock
More example sentences
- The variant of the Willard patent banjo clock shown in Plates IX and IXa is inscribed ‘DANIEL / MUNROE’ on the lower glass.
- Dating from between about 1795 and 1800, it has a dial signed by David Wood of Newbusyport, Massachusetts, who also made tall-case and banjo clocks.
- Positively sealed by O-rings, the banjo design allows 360 degrees rotation of the regular for ideal positioning.
1.2Australian /NZ dated A shovel.
Mid 18th century: originally a black American alteration of bandore (see bandora).
swing the banjo
- Australian /NZ informal Use a shovel, especially in a vigorous way: I hope to be swinging the banjo around some of those stony ridgesMore example sentences
- After swinging the banjo for eight hours, I sit down to write a few lines on what I think to be right.
- It made no difference, and next morning he returned to swinging the banjo.
- We spend a lot of time swinging the banjo, and only yesterday had to put in a new winze, following damage to our trenches from Beachy Bill.
- Example sentences
- The son of noted artist George Grosz, Marty is a 74-year-old vocalist, guitarist and banjoist, and these are two feel-good CDs from 1995 and 2000-01, respectively.
- Even former band member, banjoist Alison Brown, doesn't get a look in on the track she co-wrote with Krauss, ‘This Sad Song’.
- An accomplished fiddler / banjoist / guitarist, he also played a number of instrumentals for the appreciative crowd.
Words that rhyme with banjoGorgio
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan