Definition of banns in English:
A notice read out on three successive Sundays in a parish church, announcing an intended marriage and giving the opportunity for objections.
- Christ Church in Skipton read out the banns of marriage and no less than 12 couples were contemplating getting wed.
- This notice or banns must be read thrice in the church at intervals of at least one week.
- Print up invitations to a marriage, publish banns at a friendly church, have one or more brides or grooms and even eat wedding cake.
Middle English: plural of ban1.
forbid the banns
- archaic Raise an objection to an intended marriage.Example sentences
- I will not forbid the banns, for they are not very near of kin, but I wish they were further apart every day.
- Her parents object to the social position of her fiancé; in point of fact, they forbid the banns.
- Still, whichever methods you decide to employ, I sincerely hope that they go on to forbid the banns in no uncertain manner.
Definition of banns in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan