- An Old World bat with broad ears that meet over the head.
More example sentences
- Genus Barbastella, family Vespertilionidae: two species
- Also, records of barbastelles have never been reported from the eastern part of the Crimean peninsula.
- The diet of barbastelles consists almost exclusively of Lepidoptera, probably caught by aerial hawking.
- Many of these bats are rare or endangered species such as the barbastelles and mouse eared bat.
late 18th century: from French, from Italian barbastello.