noun (plural barberries)
A spiny shrub which typically has yellow flowers and red berries, frequently grown for ornamental hedging.
- Genus Berberis, family Berberidaceae: many species
More example sentences
- They are also attracted by the berries on the holly and some of the dogwoods and barberries around the yard, as well as the flowers with seedpods that I left for them in the main garden.
- Swirling robins and starlings competed for the red berries of the barberry and the blue berries of the privet.
- The barberry bushes have bright red little berries for all the world like Redhot candies.
Definition of barberry in:
- The US English dictionary