1chiefly North American A shop where a barber works.
- Beauty salons and barbershops entice potential customers with colorful portraits of well-coifed heads that look more like art pieces than hairstyles.
- Sell your music at flea markets, barbershops, beauty salons, birthday parties, car washes, and any place you think people will buy it.
- These intervention programs make use of lay leadership in churches, schools, beauty salons, barbershops, tattoo and body piercing salons, and laundromats.
2 [mass noun, often as modifier] A popular style of close harmony singing, typically for four male voices: a barbershop quartet
From the custom in the 16th and 17th centuries of passing time in a barber's shop by harmonizing to a lute or guitar provided to entertain customers waiting their turn
More example sentences
- Hip-hop's barbershop quartet, Jurassic Five, returns with Power in Numbers two years after their decent full-length debut, Quality Control.
- For almost a century, ‘Down in Jungle Town’ has been a favorite with barbershop quartets because it permits close harmony at a rapid tempo.
- His harmony parts for the ‘Gentlemen of the Ensemble’ frame the 1906 tune in perfect barbershop style.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: barber|shop
Definition of barbershop in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.