Definition of barbiturate in English:
1Any of a class of sedative and sleep-inducing drugs derived from barbituric acid.
- Drugs for which subjects were tested included cocaine, opiates, marijuana, phencyclidine, benzodiazepines, methaqualone, methadone, propoxyphene, barbiturates, and amphetamines.
- Amphetamines, barbiturates, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, anti-depressants, and analgesics, for example, were available over the counter or through a doctor's prescription and were widely used.
- Until twenty years ago the main group of sedative drugs were the barbiturates, now almost entirely replaced by the benzodiazepines.
1.1 Chemistry A salt or ester of barbituric acid.
- Since then, more than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized, of which more than 50 have been marketed.
- He was addicted to tranquillisers and codeine tablets, taking up to 60 per day at one point, after he became hooked on the barbiturates during a period of depression.
- An attack can also be brought on as a result of withdrawal from alcohol or barbiturates; extreme emotional distress, or fatigue.
Definition of barbiturate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan