noun[mass noun] humorous
Excessive admiration of Shakespeare.
More example sentences
- Anyone doubting the status of bardolatry as a world religion need only visit the gift shops at Anne Hathaway's Cottage or the Folger Shakespeare Library for reassurance.
- American history is filled with manifestos of cultural independence paradoxically coupled with exercises in bardolatry and Anglophilia.
- The florid old actor-manager at the heart of Forkbeard Fantasy's Shooting Shakespeare is effusive in his bardolatry.
bardolater (or bardolator)
- More example sentences
- The ninth edition of the annual Shakespeare festival took place on Saturday, giving the local bardolators yet another chance to witness a few popular scenes from some of the best-loved plays in English.
- One of the most fervent bardolaters of the period was the artist and antiquarian Samuel Ireland.
- Looking annoyed, Thomas clears his throat, and not to be outdone as a bardolater, quotes the same again.
Definition of bardolatry in:
- The US English dictionary