plural noun[usually treated as singular]
The branch of medicine that deals with the study and treatment of obesity.
- I got a specialist physician in bariatrics, or obesity.
- Minimally invasive or endoscopic techniques are prevalent in all fields including bariatrics; neurosurgery; ear, nose, and throat surgery; and orthopedics.
- Our team includes a psychologist, dietician, exercise physiologist, nursing staff and surgeons, all specially trained in bariatrics.
- Example sentences
- By going through Park Nicollet, they have a whole bariatric department which includes their own dietician, psychologist, physical therapist, etc.
- The seminar was lead by Teri Barker-Conner, a nurse in the bariatric unit at Park Nicollet.
- Unfortunately, due to the demand for the bariatric service in recent months, the trust is temporarily not open to new referrals for elective surgery.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bari|at¦rics
Definition of bariatrics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.