- 1A hardy cereal with coarse bristles extending from the ears, cultivated especially for use in brewing and stockfeed.
More example sentences
- Genus Hordeum, family Gramineae
- He was listed among the first four pioneers in barley breeding and tested barleys of hybrid origin as early as 1904, but none attained release.
- ‘Winter barleys are in the ground in time to take advantage of moisture from fall rains, winter snowpack, and early spring rainstorms,’ he explains.
- With the first winter barleys cut at the weekend in the Vale of York, harvest has come with a rush and, strangely, this season we are ahead of many of our southern brethren.
- 1.1The grain of barley.More example sentences
- We take our water and mix it with malted barley or grain to make a drink called whisky.
- In Korea, while rice is the staple grain, barley is consumed in between the rice production seasons.
- The staple food of Tibet, tsampa, is toasted barley ground to a flour.
Old English bærlic (adjective), from bære, bere 'barley' + -lic (see -ly1).
More definitions of barleyDefinition of barley in:
- The US English dictionary