Definition of barleycorn in English:
1A grain of barley.
- The weight of a barleycorn, later renamed the grain is the original basis of all English weight systems.
- He led a goat dressed in homespun, one of last year's barleycorns tucked above its ear.
- Here is a barleycorn of a different kind to those which grow in the farmer's fields, and which the chickens eat; put it into a flower-pot, and see what will happen.
1.1A former unit of measurement (about a third of an inch) based on the length of a grain of barley.
- The longest normal foot measured 39 barleycorns, or 13 inches, and was called size 13.
- In England and Scotland, at least as early as the 12th century an inch was thought of as 3 barleycorns laid end to end.
- Use the following calculator to convert between feet and barleycorns.
Words that rhyme with barleycornunicorn • Capricorn
Definition of barleycorn in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan