Definition of barn dance in English:
1An informal social gathering for country dancing.
- There is word about a barn dance coming to town but you'll read more about that next week.
- This year's event will conclude with a barn dance.
- Finally he said, ‘There's going to be a barn dance in town tomorrow night and I was thinking that maybe you would like to go with me.’
2A dance for a number of couples moving round a circle, typically involving changes of partner.
- Forget truth, principles and allegiance, the council chamber now appears to be like a bad barn dance with Better Bedford calling ‘change your partners step this way.’
- The dances are not energetic in the sense that a barn dance or a ceilidh is.
- He loved music and was a caller at local barn dances and enjoyed sequence dances.
Definition of barn dance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan