noun (plural same or barracoutas)
- A long, slender fish of southern oceans, highly valued as food. Also called snoek in South Africa.
More example sentences
- Thyrsites atun, family Gempylidae
- Both the barracouta and the frostfish are mid water hunters preying on squid and small baitfish.
- Hi, I'm interested in catching a barracouta but I'm not sure what lure to use and the price range for them.
- A more typical barracouta measures under a metre in length and weighs between 0.8 and 1.5 kg.
mid 19th century: alteration of barracuda.