- A large balloon anchored to the ground by cables and typically with netting suspended from it, serving as an obstacle to low-flying enemy aircraft.More example sentences
- She said she made a blouse and a skating skirt for her daughter using material from a barrage balloon, which was shot down at her husband's airbase.
- The exhibition, which also features a full-scale replica of a 1940s barrage balloon and a re-enactment of the wartime blackout, runs until January 8, 2006, and admission is free.
- But when they approached the French shores, they first released a barrage balloon to discourage German dive-bombers, before rocket-carrying boats released scores of missiles.
More definitions of barrage balloonDefinition of barrage balloon in:
- The US English dictionary