- A small pipe organ played by turning a handle, which rotates a cylinder studded with pegs that open the valves to produce a preset tune, formerly much used by street musicians.More example sentences
- A barrel organ was in the street below playing ‘In the Sweet Bye and Bye,’ and one by one, the passengers took up the hymn.
- An alternative was the barrel organ, usually a small chamber organ for which the church could buy a selection of pinned barrels with the most popular hymn tunes of the day ready set.
- It is a stringed instrument, usually placed flat on the knee, and plucked somewhat like a guitar; it has been described as sounding something like a cross between a guitar and a barrel organ.
More definitions of barrel organDefinition of barrel organ in:
- The US English dictionary