Definition of barrel vault in English:
A vault forming a half cylinder.
- The entrance in the north facade of the barrel vault is over an open, hard paved, elliptical piazza.
- Externally, the barrel vault is covered in patinated zinc, emerging from the ground with a glazed facade to the south while, within, the precast vaulted roof is expressed.
- And if you're observant, you'll notice that the barrel vault continues into the bathroom, where it frames the round window that you saw on the front of the house.
- Example sentences
- When the library and the Zecca were connected about 1590 by the present barrel-vaulted passageway, Sansovino's original sensible and even dramatic solution was ignored.
- The practice's masterstroke, in this most sensitive of sites, at the entrance to one of London's best-loved parks, is the very discreet insertion of a new barrel-vaulted concert hall.
- A new structure, connecting two historic buildings, features recording studios and a barrel-vaulted concert hall.
Definition of barrel vault in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan