Definition of barrel vault in English:
A vault forming a half cylinder.
- The entrance in the north facade of the barrel vault is over an open, hard paved, elliptical piazza.
- Externally, the barrel vault is covered in patinated zinc, emerging from the ground with a glazed facade to the south while, within, the precast vaulted roof is expressed.
- And if you're observant, you'll notice that the barrel vault continues into the bathroom, where it frames the round window that you saw on the front of the house.
- barrel-vaulted adjective
- Example sentences
- When the library and the Zecca were connected about 1590 by the present barrel-vaulted passageway, Sansovino's original sensible and even dramatic solution was ignored.
- The practice's masterstroke, in this most sensitive of sites, at the entrance to one of London's best-loved parks, is the very discreet insertion of a new barrel-vaulted concert hall.
- A new structure, connecting two historic buildings, features recording studios and a barrel-vaulted concert hall.
Definition of barrel vault in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.