adjectivechiefly • technical
- Forming or belonging to a bottom layer or base: basal epidermal cells the plant grows huge basal leavesMore example sentences
- Cells are replaced from a basal layer of proliferating epidermal cells in contact with the basal lamina.
- These cells originate in the lower epidermis by division of basal cells in the basal layer.
- Thus, for four of the five treatments, the ratios of basal leaf to root were similar.
More definitions of basalDefinition of basal in:
- The US English dictionary