1A ball game played between two teams of nine on a diamond-shaped circuit of four bases. It is played chiefly as a warm-weather sport in the US and Canada: a game of baseball [as modifier]: a baseball player
More example sentences
- Yes, very pleased for Johnny Damon and all them - they're my favourite team in baseball now.
- There were dire predictions of the demise of baseball as a major sport if a strike or lockout took place.
- This innovation led to the transformation of the Cardinals from one of the worst teams in baseball to one of the best.
1.1 [count noun] The hard ball used in baseball.
- More than that, he loved throwing baseballs so hard that they popped into the glove and turned hands red.
- He probably hit baseballs harder and further than anybody who played the game, especially from both sides of the plate.
- We sold baseballs and made baseballs, and I was the batboy.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: base|ball
Definition of baseball in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.