1Without foundation in fact: baseless allegations
More example sentences
- I hereby clarify that this allegation is baseless and unsubstantiated.
- The article is full of baseless facts with no specified source.
- Mr Hoggart soon abandons his baseless allegations against innocent dogs, and reports on real questions (ie ones which had occurred to me).
groundless, unfounded, unsubstantiated, unproven, unsupported, uncorroborated, untested, unconfirmed, unverified, unattested, unjustified, unwarranted, foundationless, ill-founded, without basis, without foundation, not backed up by evidence;
speculative, conjectural, idle, vain, unsound, unreliable, questionable, misinformed, misguided, spurious, specious, fallacious, erroneous, fabricated, untrue, trumped-up
2 Architecture (Of a column) not having a base between the shaft and pedestal.
- The simplicity of the original Doric baseless column even became the focal point in any discussion on the excellence of Greek art.
- It is indeed difficult to believe that the plain, sturdy, baseless column of the latter order could have been developed out of the Mycenaean shaft.
- Its partsthe simple, baseless columns, the spreading capitals, and the triglyph-metope frieze above the columnsconstitute an aesthetic development in stone that incorporated variants on themes used in earlier wood and brick.
- Example sentences
- Lehman makes several accusations, such as an argument that Windschuttle doesn't understand the Aborigines ‘attachment to the land through its flora and fauna, and he speculates baselessly about Windschuttle's motivations.
- Nothing has much grabbed my attention lately, except drunk company clients baselessly complaining about my work, but thankfully taking it in good grace when pointed out that the alcohol was talking.
- I don't want people to distort my words, nor baselessly go on attacking handicapped people and have me take the blame for instigating it.
- Example sentences
- Given the baselessness of the accusations - detailed by Quin Hillyer - the Republicans' suspicions are well grounded.
- By the end of 1926 I had been convinced as to the baselessness of the theory of existence of an almighty supreme being who created, guided and controlled the universe.
- The claimant] must be able to point to a sum awarded by a jury sufficient to convince a bystander of the baselessness of the charge’.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: base|less
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.