- 1The floor of a building which is partly or entirely below ground level: they went down the stairs into the basement [as modifier]: a basement flatMore example sentences
- The house is divided horizontally so that she has the basement and ground floor and he has the first and second.
- Radon levels are generally highest in basements and ground floor rooms that are in contact with the soil.
- They all have two storeys - either basement and ground, or first floor and attic space.
- 1.1 Geology The oldest formation of rocks underlying a particular area: [as modifier]: basement rocksMore example sentences
- The best preserved eclogites are found in mafic rocks hosted within the basement sequence.
- However, basement rocks can also be inferred from exposures in the uplands that surround the basin.
- The nature of the magnetic basement underlying the east side of the profile is enigmatic.
mid 18th century: probably from archaic Dutch basement 'foundation', perhaps from Italian basamento 'column base'.