Definition of basipetal in English:
1(Of growth or development) downwards towards the base or point of attachment. The opposite of acropetal.
- Expression of the DXR gene in adaxial phloem parenchyma cells was more pronounced in the young revoluted base of the leaves with a basipetal gradient decreasing toward the tips of older leaves.
- Lateral view of young inflorescence with basipetal initiation of flowers in the axil of bracts.
- Ellipsoidal microconidia and falcate macroconidia are formed from phialides by basipetal division; globose chlamydospores with thick walls are formed acrogenously from hyphae or by the modification of hyphal cells.
1.1(Of the movement of dissolved substances) inwards from the shoot and root apices.
- In every case, the basipetal movement was greater than the acropetal movement.
- From there they will flow to other parts of the shoot in both basipetal and acropetal directions.
- However, a continuous basipetal transport of auxin from the shoot to the rooting zone (upper part taproot) is required for adventious root formation.
- Example sentences
- The drag-induced bending moments and stresses (computed on the basis of empirically determined stem dimensions and wind speeds) increased basipetally toward the base of the tree.
- The hairs are oriented acropetally, while in the proximal part of the sac they grow basipetally, i.e., oriented toward the lemma-sac interface.
- When the exposure time was extended to 60 min, a large amount of phosphorus was transported basipetally to the shoot from root sections located 80 mm from the root tip, where the xylem is completely mature.
Definition of basipetal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan