Definition of basipetal in English:
1(Of growth or development) downwards towards the base or point of attachment. The opposite of acropetal.
- Expression of the DXR gene in adaxial phloem parenchyma cells was more pronounced in the young revoluted base of the leaves with a basipetal gradient decreasing toward the tips of older leaves.
- Lateral view of young inflorescence with basipetal initiation of flowers in the axil of bracts.
- Ellipsoidal microconidia and falcate macroconidia are formed from phialides by basipetal division; globose chlamydospores with thick walls are formed acrogenously from hyphae or by the modification of hyphal cells.
1.1(Of the movement of dissolved substances) inwards from the shoot and root apices.
- In every case, the basipetal movement was greater than the acropetal movement.
- From there they will flow to other parts of the shoot in both basipetal and acropetal directions.
- However, a continuous basipetal transport of auxin from the shoot to the rooting zone (upper part taproot) is required for adventious root formation.
- 1basipetally adverb
- Example sentences
- The drag-induced bending moments and stresses (computed on the basis of empirically determined stem dimensions and wind speeds) increased basipetally toward the base of the tree.
- The hairs are oriented acropetally, while in the proximal part of the sac they grow basipetally, i.e., oriented toward the lemma-sac interface.
- When the exposure time was extended to 60 min, a large amount of phosphorus was transported basipetally to the shoot from root sections located 80 mm from the root tip, where the xylem is completely mature.
Definition of basipetal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.