Entry from US English dictionary
1The art or activity of creating woven baskets.
- It is more than teaching skills, such as archery or basket-weaving.
- If you want to get good at something (karate, basket-weaving, asking out girls, etc.), practice it.
- These include hat-making, drum-making, basket-weaving, and the carving of dugout canoes.
2 humorous (also underwater basket-weaving) Used as the type of college course that is thought to be without any practical or professional value.
- If your transcript is filled with easy A's, such those as earned in classes like the fabled Basket-Weaving 101, you'll likely be ranked below a student who has a lower GPA comprised of courses in the hard sciences.
- Those college classes you took...must have been History of Rock N' Roll and basket-weaving 101, right?
- When I was in school, we called this kind of course Basket-Weaving 101 (actually, we did not have any courses this absurd, but some were almost as easy as this one seems to be).
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.