- 1A person or thing regarded as useless or unable to cope: do that for a couple of days and you become a blithering basket caseMore example sentences
- Ask me to read in front of people now, and I become a basket case.
- I am working very hard not to be a basket case, but doing an extremely poor job.
- Just before my injection, I became an emotional basket case and made a fool of myself.
- 1.1A country or organization that is in severe financial or economic difficulties, especially one that is unable to pay its debts: sudden meltdowns—such as the financial crisis—can turn flourishing countries into basket cases overnightMore example sentences
- The country has no oil, virtually no natural resources of any kind, and is surrounded by bullies and basket cases.
- The region is an economic basket case.
- The country is a basket case and needs to be left to its own devices.
early 20th century: originally US slang denoting a soldier who had lost all four limbs, thus unable to move independently.
More definitions of basket caseDefinition of basket case in:
- The US English dictionary