Definition of basketball in English:
1A game played between two teams of five players in which goals are scored by throwing a ball through a netted hoop fixed at each end of the court.
- You'll be able to watch live premiership games, basketball, golf, cricket, and all sorts.
- This is why, perhaps, football and basketball are the team sports with the widest global appeal.
- I get fed up with the number of points they score in basketball but I quite like a few goals in football.
1.1 [count noun] The inflated ball used in basketball.
- I can see what they are saying about some of the balls, as the kids bring in rugby balls and basketballs and it can possibly get a bit out of hand.
- There were basketballs, soccer balls, volleyballs, etc.
- The yard is littered with basketballs, soccer balls, bikes, and, for trips on the nearby river, canoes.
Words that rhyme with basketballracquetball • volleyball
Definition of basketball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.