Definition of bass viol in English:
1A bass instrument of the viol family; a viola da gamba.
- One of the commonest consorts in the Elizabethan period was the combination of treble viol or violin, flute or recorder, bass viol, lute, cittern, and bandora.
- Most of the score is lame, but the musical theme - arranged for violin, viola, and bass viol - is suitably stark and creepy.
- He is a Finn, and he plays the bass viol.
1.1North American A double bass.
- Up to a dozen of these particular clamps would be used when gluing up the body of a cello or a bass viol.
- The bass viol, in particular, is more than just a matter of the fingers, but rather of cradling the instrument with the whole body.
- Did this aspect of the literature shape your thinking at all when writing a concerto for the bass viol?
Definition of bass viol in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan