Definition of bassoon in English:
A bass woodwind instrument of the oboe family, with a doubled-back tube over four feet long, played with a double reed.
- Other unique curiosities are the 3 Sonatas that the composer wrote for each of the main woodwind instruments; oboe, bassoon and clarinet, although those for cor anglais and flute never saw the light of day.
- Even more surprising are the number of standard orchestral instruments that are currently under threat - double bass, viola, horn, oboe, bassoon, tuba and trombone.
- The performers here, being very good baroque musicians indeed, have deployed a variety of continuo combinations: harpsichord or lute with violone, gamba, double bass or bassoon.
- Example sentences
- The doublereeder exists in just these two varieties - oboist and bassoonist.
- Minor variations in bore profile can affect intonation, and all bassoonists have to experiment to some extent to find fingerings that suit their own instrument.
- Had you been a bassoonist, I'd probably have suggested a violist!
Early 18th century: from French basson, from Italian bassone, from basso 'low', from Latin bassus 'short, low'.
Words that rhyme with bassoonafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
Definition of bassoon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.