A bass woodwind instrument of the oboe family, with a doubled-back tube over four feet long, played with a double reed.
More example sentences
- Other unique curiosities are the 3 Sonatas that the composer wrote for each of the main woodwind instruments; oboe, bassoon and clarinet, although those for cor anglais and flute never saw the light of day.
- Even more surprising are the number of standard orchestral instruments that are currently under threat - double bass, viola, horn, oboe, bassoon, tuba and trombone.
- The performers here, being very good baroque musicians indeed, have deployed a variety of continuo combinations: harpsichord or lute with violone, gamba, double bass or bassoon.
- More example sentences
- The doublereeder exists in just these two varieties - oboist and bassoonist.
- Minor variations in bore profile can affect intonation, and all bassoonists have to experiment to some extent to find fingerings that suit their own instrument.
- Had you been a bassoonist, I'd probably have suggested a violist!
Definition of bassoon in:
- The US English dictionary