- A bloodsucking fly of spider-like appearance, parasitic on bats and bearing live young.
More example sentences
- Family Nycteribiidae: Nycteribia and other genera
- The wingless bat fly, Mystacinobia zelandica, lives in large communities in roosts of the short-tailed bat, and requires temperatures of around 30° for development and survival.
- I am working to construct a phylogeny of all world bat fly genera.
- Since both streblids and nycteribiids depend exclusively on bats, it may be that the common ancestor of the two bat fly families is not very old, no older than the common ancestor of bats.