1A religious initiation ceremony for a Jewish girl aged twelve years and one day, regarded as the age of religious maturity.
- The Jewish ceremony of bat mitzvah marks the passage of a young girl into adulthood after a period of prescribed religious instruction.
- Bar and bat mitzvahs are typically celebrated with a festive meal, with the family and friends of the bar mitzvah boy or bat mitzvah girl on hand to celebrate their entrance into adulthood.
- For my bat mitzvah, I am expected to do a mitzvah project.
1.1A girl undergoing the bat mitzvah ceremony.
- The subject came up by the bat mitzvah, herself, so no one could change the subject.
- This year, our two oldest children, ages 13 and 12, became bar and bat mitzvah.
- No, the child becomes bar or bat mitzvah, literally one who is of the obligations.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bat mitz|vah
Definition of bat mitzvah in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.