Definition of bat mitzvah in English:
1A religious initiation ceremony for a Jewish girl aged twelve years and one day, regarded as the age of religious maturity.
- The Jewish ceremony of bat mitzvah marks the passage of a young girl into adulthood after a period of prescribed religious instruction.
- Bar and bat mitzvahs are typically celebrated with a festive meal, with the family and friends of the bar mitzvah boy or bat mitzvah girl on hand to celebrate their entrance into adulthood.
- For my bat mitzvah, I am expected to do a mitzvah project.
1.1A girl undergoing the bat mitzvah ceremony.
- The subject came up by the bat mitzvah, herself, so no one could change the subject.
- This year, our two oldest children, ages 13 and 12, became bar and bat mitzvah.
- No, the child becomes bar or bat mitzvah, literally one who is of the obligations.
Definition of bat mitzvah in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan