(also bateleur eagle)
- A short-tailed African eagle with mainly black plumage and a bare red face.
More example sentences
- Terathopius ecaudatus, family Accipitridae
- There are also plenty of birds, including the impressive bateleur eagle and ground hornbills.
- Keep your eyes open for raptors - especially the distinctive bateleur eagles that are common here.
- Lacking a long tail, the bateleur rocks side to side in flight, a mechanism for steering.
mid 19th century: from French, literally 'acrobat, juggler' (with reference to the side-to-side tilting motion of the bird in flight).