Definition of batfish in English:
noun (plural same or batfishes)
1A fish of tropical and temperate seas with a flattened body that is round or almost triangular when viewed from above.
- Family Ogcocephalidae: several genera and species
- We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.
- It is a relative easy, shallow dive with a maximum depth of about 45 ft, with nice hard coral formation and friendly batfish and moray eels.
- The legs (they're pectoral fins, really) allow batfish to crawl about the seafloor.
2A deep-bodied, laterally compressed marine fish of the Indo-Pacific region, resembling an angelfish.
- Genus Platax, family Ephippidae: several species
- These include the flashlight fish in the Indo-Pacific, the rosy-lipped batfish of the Galapagos and Cocos islands, and unbelievably vividly coloured Spanish dancers.
- Unfortunately the visibility is a milky 5m, though this doesn't detract from the huge shoals of snapper and the angelfish, batfish and giant grouper that call this oasis home.
- Soft corals sway with the current, while schools of striped and spotted groupers, angelfish, batfish and lionfish dart between them.
Definition of batfish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia