nounchiefly • historical
- A manned submersible vessel of a kind used by the French deep-sea explorer Auguste Piccard (1884–1962).More example sentences
- Auguste Piccard conceived the bathyscaphe in the 1930s but became distracted by the allure of high-altitude ballooning.
- He dove in the bathyscaphe Trieste, and the smaller Soucoupe Marine (rented from Jacques Cousteau) and the Westinghouse Deepstar 4000.
- For those who are interested, the bathyscaphe is a type of submersible observation chamber.
1940s: coined in French by its inventor, Auguste Piccard, from Greek bathus 'deep' + skaphos 'ship'.
More definitions of bathyscapheDefinition of bathyscaphe in:
- The US English dictionary